Today is Tuesday, July 12, and here are the five things you need to know:
1. The National Weather Service is predicting that Marblehead residents can expect showers and thunderstorms today between 1 and 5 p.m. Otherwise, it should be partly sunny, with a high near 78. Tonight will be partly cloudy, with a low around 67. (sunrise, 5:16 a.m.; high tide, 9:21 a.m.; low tide, 3:13 p.m.; sunset, 8:20 p.m.)
2. The USA Yacht Bella PITA set a new record Monday in the , crossing the finish line in 30 hours, 46 minutes and 52 seconds. Bella PITA, out of Oxford, Md., shattered the record of 33:29:57 set in 1989 by the Starlight Express a Santa Cruz 70 which rode the edge of a storm.
3. The town's will meet tonight at 7:30 p.m. in the Selectmen's Meeting Room at . The group is expected to continue a public hearing about a project on Green Street.
4. The town's will meet at the Mary Alley Building on Widger Road tonight at 7:30 p.m. Members will have a discussion with Town Planner Becky Curran about the status of a contract, according to the meeting's agenda.
5. Today in history: On July 12, 1804, former United States Secretary of the Treasury Alexander Hamilton died - one day after he was shot in a duel with then sitting Vice President Aaron Burr.
For more things going on in Marblehead today, check out our events calendar.