Jul 28, 2014
Partly Cloudy

Would You Be Willing to BYOB to Local Restaurants?

The Board of Selectmen are currently reviewing Marblehead's BYOB regulations.

Would You Be Willing to BYOB to Local Restaurants?

In response to a recent request from Casa Corona Restaurant for permission to allow their patrons the option of bringing along their own alcohol beverages, the Board of Selectmen reviewed the local rules pertaining to BYOB at their meeting Wednesday night.

While no official decision was made in regard to Casa Corona, board members looked over and altered a draft of local BYOB regulations that was recently crafted by Town Counsel Lisa Mead at their request.

The revamped version of the draft will now be sent back to Mead so it may be finalized at the board's next meeting.

Once finalized, Casa Corona owners Felix and Jose Bracamontes will then be called in to discuss their application; and, if all goes according to plan, patrons could be enjoying their own alcoholic beverages at the restaurant by Thanksgiving.

Regulations discussed Wednesday night included:

  • All alcoholic beverages (beer, wine, hard alcohol) will be permitted.
  • Alcohol can be sold during a restaurant's regular business hours
  • A BYOB license can be requested as soon as a Common Victualler's license has been awarded
  • Five BOYB licenses will be available in Marblehead at $50 each and will be good for 12 months
  • The Board of Selectmen can take away a license if they determine it is being abused
  • The Board of Selectmen can increase the number of licenses available
  • The Marblehead Police Department must sign-off on all applications
  • The amount of alcohol each patron can bring with them will be regulated
  • It is the responsibility of the restaurant to be sure patrons don't over-serve themselves
  • All alcoholic beverage containers brought into the restaurant must be brought out by one of the patrons
  • If a drink isn't finished, it must be taken away in a sealed clear plastic bag
  • Wait staff may not assist with alcoholic beverages unless they are over 18 and TIPS certified


So we have to ask - would you be willing to BYOB to local restaurants without liquor licenses? Do you worry about customers over-serving themselves?

Let us know in the comments section below.

Don’t miss updates from Patch!