1. The latest forecast from the National Weather Service advises that the heavy snow will be tapering off this morning from west to east, but blowing and drifting snow will continue into this afternoon. The Steamship Authority has cancelled three morning ferries. For updates throughout the day on Island weather, closings and cancellations, check the Martha's Vineyard Storm Center page.
2. If you must drive today, please leave extra time and observe these
10 Tips for Driving in Winter Weather, from Mass.gov. And be glad you're not in Boston, where at 4 a.m. the temperature was 1 degree Fahrenheit (not accounting for wind chill) while on the Vineyard it was 25 degrees.
3. Public parking is banned in Vineyard Haven until 8 p.m.
4. The storm's highest tide comes in the noon hour today.
Check tide tables here.
5. Do you receive the daily Martha's Vineyard Patch newsletter and breaking news alerts? If not, please
sign up here. It's free and brings you all our latest posts so you can keep in touch with what's happening on the Vineyard 365 days a year.
Find more things to do on the Vineyard: Post them on Patch and we'll get the word out!