1) Thunder on the mountain, and there's fires on the moon: A chance of showers, with thunderstorms also possible after 1 p.m. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 69. Calm wind becoming east between 5 and 8 mph. Chance of precipitation is 40 percent. Tonight, a slight chance of showers before 10 p.m. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 52. Southeast wind at 7 mph becoming west. Chance of precipitation is 20 percent. (Forecast by the National Weather Service.)
2) There are these two young fish swimming along, and they happen to meet an older fish swimming the other way, who nods at them and says, "Morning, boys, how's the water?" And the two young fish swim on for a bit, and then eventually one of them looks over at the other and goes, "
What the hell is water?" Several Board of Aldermen committees meet tonight starting at 7:30 p.m., including the Appropriations Committee, which will be discussed .
I need all of you to stop what you're doing and listen ... CANNONBALL! Before the aldermen's Health, Education and Welfare Committee: A request for Health Director Ruth Clay to inform the aldermen what inspections will be undertaken of the on Tremont Street prior to opening. (The pool, by the way, is scheduled to open for summer on Saturday, June 23.)
4) You can't see that flag as some dragon you got to slay. You have to look with soft eyes: Also meeting tonight at 7 p.m.—the Melrose Park Commission, which has Mount Hood 2012 request for proposals on the agenda, with public participation scheduled for 8 p.m. Golf Management Company, which has managed the course and property since 2003, received a five-year contract for course management in 2008.
- : Find out if you have new neighbors. Our roundup of five home sales in Melrose this past week posts at noon—Realtors, add your own recent sales to our gallery!
- : Each week, we highlight a Melrose kid (or kids) who has been nominated for some recognition.