Today is Thursday, Aug. 18—20 years ago today, Soviet President Mikhail Gorbachev was placed under house arrest during a coup by high-ranking members of his own government, military and police forces—and here are Melrose's five fast facts for the day:
1) When the sun breaks through the clouds, that's when you'll see me appear: Today will be sunny with a high near 83. Southwest wind between 7 and 13 mph. Tonight, a chance of showers and thunderstorms in the wee hours. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 66. Southwest wind between 7 and 10 mph. Chance of precipitation is 30 percent. (Forecast by the National Weather Service. Except that part about "wee hours." That was me. I love that phrase. Don't know why.)
2) Gotta' lighten up—shine like the sun: Loretta LaRoche (pictured) makes her debut at Stoneham Theatre with . Fresh off of her PBS show taping, Loretta has put together an exciting new show full of cutting-edge information which audiences of any age will want to incorporate into their life.
3) Can you send me a sign: The Melrose Historic District Commission tonight meets tonight at 6:15 p.m. and on the agenda are facade renovations at TD Bank, 478 Main St.; new signage at , 539 Main St.; and new signage at , 616 Main St.
4) Tell me is this planet healing? (It's apparently Luscious Jackson day here on 5 Things.) The Conservation Commission meets tonight at 7:30 p.m. On the agenda are 7 Crestwood Lane, and conservation signs.
I will eat you alive: Thinking about what to eat today? Here are daily specials around Melrose:
- : Lunch—Beef, Bean and Cheddar Quesadilla; Dinner—Chicken Broccoli Ziti
- Do you own a Melrose eatery? E-mail your daily specials to email@example.com by 6 p.m. and we'll include them in next morning's Good Morning Melrose.
As always, check our calendar for the full slate of events—and add your own!