Our weekday morning column, 5 Things You Need to Know, provides you with information that can help you plan your day and give you some fodder for water cooler conversations.
1. If you missed the public hearing on Wednesday, concerning the water rate increase requested by the Milford Water Company, here is the address for written comments: Mark Marini, Department of Public Utilities Secretary, Department of Public Utilities, 1 South Station, Boston, MA 02110, Docket No. 1286.
2. Ready for another round of elections? The election process for town government will begin in early January. Nomination papers can be taken out at the Milford Town Clerk's office starting at 8:30 a.m. Jan. 7 for positions including Board of Selectmen, Board of Health and Board of Assessors. The election is April 2, 2013.
3. Milford Police have received a federal grant that will allow local officers to participate in the "Drive Sober or Pull Over" program from Dec. 14 to Jan. 1. The enforcement effort against OUI drivers will include 49 agencies in Massachusetts.
4. Maria Sews a Lot will host an open house at 10 a.m. Saturday, at the sewing studio on Main Street. An overview of sewing classes will be provided.
5. The Milford Transfer Station will be open starting in January on Saturdays from 8 a.m. to 4:45 p.m. and on Sundays from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. The hours will continue through March.
Let Patch save you time. Get the morning's Five Things column delivered right to your inbox or smartphone everyday with our free newsletter. Simple, fast sign-up here.