Our weekday morning column, 5 Things You Need to Know, provides you with information that can help you plan your day and give you some fodder for water cooler conversations.
1. We're in tax season, as you can probably tell, from the ads on TV and the Statue of Liberty sign-waver outside Liberty Tax. But this year, a slight wrinkle. Because of the last-minute decision making in Washington on tax changes, the IRS will not be accepting returns until Jan. 30. So prepare yourself, but don't file just yet.
2. Local students are preparing for the MetroWest Youth Symphony Orchestra’s Winter Concert, which is at 3 p.m. Jan. 27 at MassBay Community College in Wellesley. The MetYSO is a nonprofit music education program and provides young musicians with advanced orchestral training. Two students from Milford will participate in the concert: Mickey Cronin, 15, is a member of the MetYSO Youth Orchestra and Wind Ensemble, and plays trumpet. Bridget Mack, 13, plays violin and has been a member of the MetYSO since September. She is also a member of the Middle School East Orchestra.
3. Dana Auger, of Milford, a senior at Wheaton College, has been recognized by the college for her contribution to the swimming and diving program. At a meet last week against Babson College, she teamed up with three teammates in the 200-yard medley relay, for first place overall with a time of 1:55.05.
4. Marilyn Lovell has drawn paperwork to run for re-election as a trustee of Vernon Grove Cemetery. And Paul Pellegrini has returned his papers to run for the Parks Commission and those signatures have been verified.
5. Save the date: State Sen. Richard T. Moore will host a "Planning for Higher Education" planning session on Feb. 11 at the Milford Town Library. The event will include information on financial aid and how to plan for paying for college. Joining Moore will be representatives from the Massachusetts Educational Financing Authority (MEFA), the Blackstone Valley Education Foundation, American Student Assistance (ASA), and a local licensed financial planner.