“Five Things You Need to Know Today” is a Patch column that provides readers with essential, daily information at a glance.
1. Cloudy: Today will be cloudy with a slight chance of showers before 9 a.m., according to the National Weather Service. High: 57, Low: 41.
2. Antique appraisal: Wingate at Needham invites local residents to come learn more about antiques today from 9-11 a.m. Peter Yvanovich, president of New England Inventory and Appraisal Services, will show you how to “Turn What’s Old Into Gold.” This program is free, but participants are limited to two items each. Please do not bring coins, stamps or weapons. Refreshments will be served.
3. Needham Gives Thanks: The Needham Merchants Association, the Needham Restaurant Association and the Needham Business Association, as part of the Discover Needham Local First Campaign, are sponsoring Needham Gives Thanks, a food drive from Nov. 1-20 to benefit the Needham Community Council. Bring your donations of nonperishable items to participating businesses—just look for the Discover Needham Local First logo and the Needham Gives Thanks sign in the window.
4. Nominations due: Today is the last day to submit your nominations for Needham Youth Services’ 2013 Patrick C. Forde Good Person Memorial Award. This award recognizes a Needham adult who helps make the community a better place to live through his or her volunteer work. The award is recognition that through volunteerism and caring, each person in the community is able to enhance Needham. Learn more and submit nominations at www.needhamma.gov/youth/fordeaward.
5. Halloween contest: It doesn’t matter if you’re Lady Gaga or Lady Liberty for Halloween—if you have an awesome costume, showcase your creation in Patch's Best Halloween Costume in America Contest. Adults and children are eligible to enter. Parents can post costume photos of themselves and their families from this Halloween or from years past. Today is the last day to enter! For details, visit Needham Patch’s contest page.