Things You Need to Know Today is a Patch column that provides readers with essential, daily information at a glance. Check back later for more, and let us know what you think of the feature in the comments section.
1. Weight Watchers
Weight Watchers meetings are held at Epoch held every Wednesday at 6 p.m. and new members are being sought. The meeting is an "at work" format and about four more people are needed in order to meet the minimum. The cost is $39.95 per month. Membership is at a discounted rate with full access to all the Weight Watcher etools. For more information call 508-285-3355.
2. Welcome Wednesdays at New Testament
New Testament hosts tours every Wednesday from 8:30 a.m. to 2 p.m. Meet some of the staff and learn about what goes on within the school. For reservations call 508-285-9771. For more information visit www.newtestamentschool.org.
3. Breast Cancer Support Group
Sturdy Memorial Hospital will offer a Breast Cancer Support Group meeting 6 to 7:30 p.m. in conference rooms A, B and C. The group is free and open to the public. For more information, call Ellen Gilbert at 508-236-7015.
4. Tips to using a space heater safely
A release from the Insurance Institute for Business & Home Safety (IIBHS) says that home fires have resulted in 149 deaths in January, 24 more than at this same time in 2012, according to the U.S. Fire Administration (USFA). Additionally, home fires lead to an average of 18,300 injuries per year and cause billions of dollars in damage. That’s why Amica Insurance is sharing these tips from the IIBHS website to encourage the proper use of space heaters:
- Keep a distance of 36 inches between the heater and combustible materials.
- Do not leave a heater unattended.
- Electric heaters should be inspected prior to use. Check the cord for fraying and cracking, and look for broken wires or signs of overheating in the device itself.
- Use only heavy-duty extension cords marked with a No. 14 gauge or larger wire.
- If the heater plug has a grounding prong, use only a grounding (three-wire) extension cord.
- Never run the heater cord, or any cord, under rugs or carpeting.
- With liquid fuel-powered devices, use only kerosene or oil heat.
- Allow the heater to cool down before refueling.
5. High near 57, low around 49
Today there is a 50 percent chance of showers. New precipitation amounts of less than a tenth of an inch possible. There will be patchy fog between 7 and 8 a.m. Otherwise, it will be cloudy, with a high near 57. South wind will be 7 to 13 mph. Tonight there is an 80 percent chance of showers and possibly a thunderstorm before 3 a.m. Some of the storms could produce heavy rainfall. New rainfall amounts between three quarters and one inch possible. The temperature low will be around 49. Otherwise, it will be breezy, with a south wind 15 to 20 mph, with gusts as high as 39 mph.