Today is Tuesday, Jan. 8. Here are five things to know today in Peabody.
- The School Committee reconvenes in regular session tonight to formally organizing for the new year. The meeting is 7:30 p.m. at the Kiley School.
- The American Red Cross has some safety tips for you this winter as the cold weather settles in and you may be relying on a variety of means to keep your home warm.
- Speaking of the Red Cross, the Northeast Massachusetts chapter, which is now based in Peabody, is looking for nominations for its annual Community Heroes Awards. The awards are presented in six categories during the annual Community Heroes Breakfast, which will be held March 21 from 7:30-9 a.m. at the DoubleTree by Hilton in Danvers. Nominations will be accepted through Jan. 18. Click here for more information.
- The Peabody High Concert Band has entered the RRS Gift of Music Contest and needs your help to win a $15,000 grant. You can vote online through Jan. 11. Click here for more details.
- Hansel and Gretel: The Higgins Middle School Drama Club is taking the stage to act out a classic fairy tale this weekend. This version of "Hansel and Gretel" for young audiences and performers is adapted and dramatized from the Brothers Grimm original by Vera Morris. The Higgins drama club's performances this weekend are open to the public and will be 7 p.m. Friday and 2 p.m. Saturday in the school auditorium.