Today is Monday, Oct. 1. Here are five things to know today in Peabody.
- Hydrant testing: The Fire Department says it will be testing fire hydrants in Ward 6 Precinct 3, Ward 5 Precinct 2 and Ward 2 Precinct 2, starting today and lasting through the month of October. During this time, you may see some discoloration in your tap water.
- College Fair: The guidance department at Peabody High is hosting a college fair Oct. 4 from 6:30-8:30 p.m. with 140 representatives from universities, colleges, business schools, nursing schools, vocational schools, the Armed Forces and banking institutions. All students and their parents are invited to attend and will be able to obtain information on the college application process, admissions testing requirements and financial aid.
- The Peabody Recreation Department is now accepting registrations for fall programs. Brochures are available at all Peabody public libraries and schools. Check out the programs being offered for kids and adults, along with some upcoming trips.
- Sports update: The Tanners' volleyball club is scheduled to play today at home (4 p.m.). The girls are 5-1 so far this season. Tomorrow, boys' soccer hosts Marblehead while the girls travel to the Magicians' home field (both games 3:45 p.m.), field hockey travels to Revere (3:45 p.m.) and golf is at home on The Meadow (4 p.m.) against Salem. As for soccer, the girls look to make it 7-0 while the boys are 3-1-2.
- Want more out of Peabody Patch? You can share your news with the rest of the community -- click here to add an announcement, add your events to our events calendar, click here to sign up for breaking news updates, follow us on Facebook or Twitter for up-to-the-minute news, and share your thoughts on your community in a blog -- click here to get started.