Today is Friday, Sept. 21. Here are five things to know today in Peabody.
- Peabody High football kicks off its first home game of the season tonight (7 p.m.) against Haverhill. The Tanners are 0-2 and hunting for their first win on the gridiron. The Hillies, who are 1-1, play in the Merrimack Valley League. And because it's a home game, fans also have a chance to stop by the concession stand to buy tickets in a raffle the Peabody Football Boosters are running. Two sets of New England Patriots tickets are up for grabs to see the Pats vs. the Colts on Nov. 18. The winners will be drawn at the Tanners Nov. 9 game against Lynn Classical. Raffle tickets are $10 and and the boosters are selling 400 of them. You can also drop them a message via email or Facebook.
- The Peabody High theater club, Stage One, is hosting "Peabody's Got Talent" this Saturday. Tickets are $5 at the door for the student talent show, which starts at 7 p.m.
- The Saturday Farmers Market just has two more market days left -- tomorrow and next Saturday. Stop by the library courtyard downtown between 10 a.m. and 2 p.m.
- Peabody Rec is heading to the B.C. vs. Army football game Oct. 6, are you going too? The Recreation Department is co-sponsoring a bus trip with the Salem Recreation Department to see the Boston College Eagles fight the Army Black Knights. A motor coach bus departs Higgins Middle School on the King Street Extension side of the building at 6 a.m. bound for West Point, NY on Saturday, Oct. 6. Seating is reserved for center end zone for the noontime game. The bus will head home after the game and will make a stop so you can grab dinner. Expect to arrive back at the Higgins at 8 p.m. All ages are welcome, residents and non-residents. The cost is $75 per person for the trip. You can register online at www.peabody-ma.gov/parks_rec.html and click on “Register Online.” Any questions, call 978-536-7130.
- If you're wondering, the Autumnal Equinox is Saturday at 10:49 a.m. precisely. Are you excited for the fall season to arrive?