23 Aug 2014
62° Clear

Peabody Man, 39, Arrested After Nighttime Manhunt

State police say the 39-year-old Peabody man fled a traffic stop in Revere and led authorities on a manhunt in Peabody for about one-and-a-half hours before he was finally arrested.

Peabody Man, 39, Arrested After Nighttime Manhunt

Police arrested a 39-year-old Peabody man last night after nearly a two-hour manhunt by both Peabody officers and state troopers.

State police said Leroy Frederick, 39, of 4 Essex Ln. #2C, Peabody, was taken into custody around 11:30 p.m. after he arrived on foot outside his apartment building and was confronted by officers. Frederick actually started to begin the chase anew, but only made it a short distance this time, according to police.

A press statement Wednesday morning from state police spokesman David Procopio said Frederick had initially fled from a traffic stop in Revere.

Procopio said Trooper Matthew McDevitt observed a white Audi traveling east on the VFW Parkway (Route 1A near Revere Beach) at 9:28 p.m. with “defective taillights.” After running the vehicle registration, McDevitt discovered the inspection sticker was expired as well and pulled over the Audi just before Butler Circle, as a Revere police cruiser provided backup.

The male driver (later identified as Frederick) admitted his license was suspended and that he had no ID or registration in the car to show McDevitt, said Procopio. McDevitt, placing his hand on the driver’s side doorframe, then asked the man to get out of the car. Instead, Frederick revved the engine, threw the gear in drive and took off, heading south down North Shore Road and running a red light.

Procopio said troopers and Revere officers combed the area, but couldn’t find Frederick and notified Peabody police because the vehicle registration showed the Peabody address.

State troopers again crossed paths with Frederick in Peabody at 9:50 p.m. They spotted a yellow 1997 Audi A8 with the driver matching the description given from the Revere stop, but Frederick then bailed out of his car on Nancy Avenue and led police on a chase for the next hour-and-a-half.

Procopio said state police dogs were released immediately for the manhunt, which was joined by numerous troopers and Peabody officers.

Meanwhile, McDevitt and other troopers went to Frederick’s apartment building at 4 Essex Ln., which is located off Prospect Street across from the . And at 11:31 p.m., the troopers saw a man matching the suspect’s description walking toward apartment 2C, Procopio said.

“The man (Frederick) appeared to be out of breath and his jeans were covered in mud,” the troopers reported. McDevitt recognized him, but when troopers approached and ordered him to the ground, Frederick began to run again, but only for about 20 feet before stopping.

The troopers said he had a cut on his hand and was taken (under guard) first to to have the cut treated – he had apparently cut it while climbing a fence – and then back to the Revere barracks for booking.

Procopio said further investigation revealed that Frederick’s license had been revoked for four years in 2008 for being a habitual traffic offender and that he also had three outstanding warrants for arrest from Dorchester District Court.

After searching the Audi, troopers also found a “double-edged knife, secured inside a nylon sheath, in the passenger compartment.” Frederick said he bought the knife at a flea market in Brockton, Procopio said.

Frederick was charged with driving to endanger, failure to stop for police, defective tail lights, possession of a dangerous weapon, resisting arrest, driving with a revoked license, a red light violation and speeding, in addition to the warrant charges.

He was held overnight and scheduled to be arraigned in Chelsea District Court Wednesday.

Share This Article