First-Shift Firefighter Rescues Family Dog From Burning Home
Salem firefighters rescued a pet and prevented a dryer fire from consuming a historic Osgood Street home Saturday afternoon.
Andrew Francis spent his first shift as a member of the Salem Fire Department rescuing a family pet from a fire that badly damaged a historic Salem home Saturday afternoon.
At approximately 1 p.m., Salem firefighters responded to 47 Osgood St. after neighbors reported smelling something burning and noticed smoke coming from one of the home's dryer vents, Deputy Fire Chief Brian Harrington said.
The first firefighters on scene entered the house through an unlocked front door and had to begin opening up the kitchen ceiling in an effort to contain the blaze.
Shortly after firefighters arrived, Harrington said the family's Golden Retriever came running into the house from across the street and made its way into a back room.
"They broke up and searched the house for the dog and managed to get it back out," Harrington said. "It was a rescue on (Francis') first shift rotation."
A clogged clothing dryer vent appears to have been the culprit.
"When we opened up the dryer the clothes inside were still smoldering and they eventually caught on fire, which spread to the ceiling," Harrington said. "There was moderate smoke damage throughout the house."
The family was not home at the time of the fire and there were no reported injuries, Harrington Said.
According to a Historic Salem Inc. plaque on the side of the house, it was built in 1835 for William Stickney, Rope Maker.
Saturday's nice weather likely prevented the fire from being much worse, Harrington said.
"That's a dead-end street without a lot of traffic, so people out enjoying the weather were able to alert us," he said.
Salem Patch will continue to follow this story and will post additional information as it becomes available.