"The redesigned SAT will focus on the knowledge and skills that current research shows are most essential for college and career readiness and success," the board said in a statement. "The exam will reflect the best of classroom work."
The new test will debut in the spring of 2016.
According to CNN, some of the changes include:
- The new test will be based on the old 1,600-point scale, instead of the current 2,400 one
- The Khan Academy will provide free test preparation
- The test have three sections: reading and writing, math, and an optional essay that will be scored separately
- Students will not be penalized for incorrect answers
- Calculators will not be allowed on the math section
- The test will take about three hours to complete, with an additional 50 minutes for the essay
- There will be an electronic version of the test in addition to the print one