Sheridan Road Fire Likely Originated Behind Fireplace
The family's seven members got out safely after the smoke detector's alarm sounded.
Seven people evacuated a house fire at 25 Sheridan Road on Monday morning about 2:15 causing extensive damage to the first two floors and leaving the home uninhabitable.
The fire looks like it started behind the fireplace in the adjoining wall before traveling up the wall and spreading to the second and third floors, said Swampscott Fire Capt. Graham Archer.
No one was injured in the incident. The family — the mom and dad and four children and the mom's mom — stayed with a neighbor overnight, according to fire officials.
Patch is trying to find out what the family's plans are and whether anyone is organizing an effort to help them get back on their feet.
Sheridan is located off Walker Road.
The home's smoke detector played a key role in staving off what could have been a much worse experience.
"This fire had every possibilty of being (more) dramatic — the (smoke) detector really changed the narrative of the fire," Capt. Archer said.
Flames could be seen from outside the home, especially those shooting out a second-floor bedroom, the fire captain said.
Firefighters entered the home and stopped the flames before they caused major damage on the third floor, the fire captain said.
The first-floor and second floor received extensive fire, smoke and water damage.
Firefighters broke windows to ventilate the blaze and chased fire extension in the walls and ceilings, the fire captain said.
Firefighters from Lynn were the first on the scene as Swampscott firefighters were in Marbehead helping at the scene of a fire at 80 Naugus Ave.
Firefighters from Swampscott, Lynn, Revere and Peabody were at the scene; firefighters from Nahant and Middleton provided station back-up.
Swampscott Department of Public Works employees remained on the scene through the night salting and sanding the icy conditions, Capt. Archer said.
Rehab 5 was on the scene in the bitterly cold early morning hours providing drinking water and hot drinks and other assistance to those at the scene.
A neighbor took in the seven family members while the fire was being fought.
The home will be habitable again but it will need a lot of work and likely be next year before the residents can move back in, Capt. Archer said.
The residents had been using their fireplace during the day Sunday.
Firefighters cleared the scene about 5:15 a.m., this morning.