“When trying to find the words to tell her how much I loved her, I stumbled across the ingredients for grilled cheese sandwiches. That’s when I realized she was the melted cheese to my toast. And the guy she’s currently seeing, the guy she left me for, well, I guess he is the tomato soup. ” ~Jarod Kintz
There is nothing like a toasty grilled cheese sandwich accompanied by a hot bowl of tomato soup. My Gram used to make her tomato soup with elbow macaroni in it and every now and then I find myself craving it. Last week I was having one of those cravings and happened upon a recipe for tomato soup on Pinterest. Don't even get me started on Pinterest. Ah Pinterest ... how many hours I have lost to your addictive site.
The original Pinterest recipe called for regular tomato soup, whole milk and half and half but all I had in the house was reduced fat and sodium versions (obviously yet another diet had begun that Monday) so I used those and thought the soup tasted great. I also skipped the onion and garlic powders and sauteed some fresh ones instead.
I think my Gram would have approved.
Creamy Tomato-Tortellini Comfort Soup
- 2 cans reduced-sodium condensed tomato soup
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 pkg (9 oz) frozen cheese tortellini
- 2 cups skim milk
- 2 cups fat free half-and-half
- 1/2 cup chopped oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp chopped onion
- 3 minced garlic cloves
- 1 tsp chopped fresh basil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- few grinds of black pepper
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- Heat olive oil in a pot over medium high heat. Sautee onion and garlic until tender.
- Add soup, broth, milk, cream, tomatoes and seasonings and bring to a boil.
- Add tortellini and cook for 8-9 minutes.
- Stir in cheese.
- Sprinkle each serving with additional cheese if desired.