The New Hampshire Attorney General's office will now have until April 18 to present its case against second-degree murder suspect Seth Mazzaglia to a grand jury.
Strafford County Superior Court Judge John Lewis granted the motion filed by N.H. Assistant Attorney General Peter Hinckley on Friday, according to Kearston Crutchfield, who serves as the court's case manager. She said the Strafford County Grand Jury is scheduled to convene on April 18.
Hinckley had filed his motion seeking an extension on Jan. 29 and previously said state prosecutors wanted more time because “there is still follow up investigation that needs to be made.”
State prosecutors originally had 90 days to present their case after Mazzaglia waived probable cause on Oct. 26.
State prosecutors filed their first motion to extend the bind-over period on Jan. 7, which was subsequently approved by the court. As a result, they had until the end of February to present their case against Mazzaglia to a grand jury.
The New Hampshire Attorney General's office alleges that Mazzaglia strangled or suffocated Westborough resident Elizabeth "Lizzi" Marriott on Oct. 9 in his Dover apartment. Marriott had attended a class at the University of New Hampshire that night and headed to Dover to see some friends.
Authorities launched a massive search for Marriott's body that began in October, but no trace of her body has yet been found. Some of the areas where New Hampshire Marine Patrol and New Hampshire Fish and Game conservation officers focused their search were around Peirce Island in Portsmouth and off Fox Point in Newington.