"Five Things You Need to Know Today" is a Patch column that provides readers with essential, daily information at a glance. You can also sign-up for the West Roxbury Patch.com daily or weekly newsletter that will come straight to your inbox with everything Patch.
- There will be an open house for Cub Scout West Roxbury Pack 1 out of St. John Chrysostom today for all boys in first to fifth grade. The open house is on Friday evening and for the pack's Raingutter Regatta (model boat racing) on Saturday, Sept. 22 (10 a.m. to 1 p.m.) in the yard behind the parish. The open house and regatta are free, but there is a fee to join Cub Scouts.
- Parkway Little League tryouts are at the athletic complex at 315 Baker St. on Saturday. Read more here.
- Tonight, a ward winning singer-songwrite, Ellis Paul, will perform in Roxbury Latin's Smith Theater for a concert open to the public. One of the leading voices in American songwriting and one of the top singer-songwriters to emerge out of the Boston folk scene, Ellis has released more than 17 albums and received 14 Boston Music awards. Open seating tickets: $10 for students and senior citizens; $20 all others. Tickets are available now at: www.roxburylatin.org
- Also this morning, West Roxbury District Councilor Matt O'Malley is holding officer hours at Starbucks. West Roxbury liaison Bill MacGregor will attend. Also, if you'd like to get in touch with O’Malley at his City Hall office, it is open Monday through Friday from 9 a.m. until 5 p.m. Please call 617-635-4220 to reach the office.
- Tonight enjoy a "Concert of Sacred Music" featuring the St. Romanos Choir of Beirut, which has won international acclaim since being founded at St. George Orthodox Cathedral of Beirut in 2000. With 30 female and male voices from the St. Romanos School of Music in Lebanon and under the direction of Fr. Romanos Gebran, the choir commands an impressive repertoire of Byzantine LiturgicalHymns. The choir performs arrangements composed by the renowned Greek musicologist Simon Karas in addition to a wide range ofmusic reflective of the Antiochian tradition. Admission $10 at the door. Reception to follow. At St. George Othodox Church. 7:30 p.m.
Things you can do every day on West Roxbury Patch:
- Share your news with the rest of the community. Click here to add an announcement.
- Add your events to our events calendar.
- Click here to sign up for our daily newsletter.
- Share your thoughts on your community in a blog. Click here to get started.