Memorial Day, recognized on the last Monday in May, is a day to remember the men and women who served their country as members of the United States military and have since died, whether in battle or after coming home.
Anyone looking to get some errands done before or after today's ceremonies or scheduled picnics will likely find offices, shops and businesses closed for the day, as Memorial Day is a federal holiday. Here’s a look at a few of the places that are closed today.
- Banks: Banks are closed today.
- Buses: Buses and trackless trolleys will operate on a Sunday schedule.
- City offices: All City of Boston offices are closed.
- Community centers: All Boston community centers are closed today.
- Commuter rail: Most commuter rail lines will operate on a Sunday schedule; however, some lines will not operate at all today. Check MBTA.com for the complete schedule.
- County offices: All Suffolk County offices are closed today.
- Library: All Boston Public Libraries will be closed today and will reopen at 10 a.m. on Tuesday.
- MBTA T service: All Red, Blue, Orange, Green and Silver lines will operate on a Sunday schedule.
- Museums: Many of Boston's major museums will be open on Memorial Day, including the Museum of Fine Arts, which is free to all visitors today from 10 a.m. to 4:45 p.m. Also open: The Institute of Contemporary Art, Museum of Science and New England Aquarium. Call ahead to verify the hours or to check other locations.
- Parking: Parking meters are free today.
- Post offices: The U.S. post offices in Charlestown and around the city are closed today.
- Restaurants: Up to the owner's discretion. (Know of a Charlestown restaurant that is open for business today? Share it in the comments.)
- Schools: All Boston public schools are closed today.
- State offices: All state offices are closed today.
- Street sweeping: There will be no Monday daytime sweeping. Sweeping will resume at 12:01 a.m. Tuesday as listed on posted arterials. Sign up for sweeping alerts.
- Tow lot: The tow lot is closed from Saturday at 1 p.m. until Tuesday at 7 a.m.
- Trash collection: There will be no trash or recycling collection today. For the rest of the week, trash collection will be delayed by one day except for in Charlestown, Boston proper, Roxbury and South Boston. See the full holiday collection schedule for more information.