23 Aug 2014
60° Mostly Cloudy
Patch Instagram photo by legallyblonde27
Patch Instagram photo by legallyblonde27
Patch Instagram photo by ermyceap
Patch Instagram photo by taratesimu
Patch Instagram photo by taratesimu
Patch Instagram photo by lilyava299
Patch Instagram photo by _mollfairhurst
Patch Instagram photo by thecontemporaryhannah
Patch Instagram photo by lucyketch

Wilmington Residents Allegedly Scammed by Lottery Winner

According to Boston Herald, locals are among 10 victims of scam by Chelmsford oil company owner who won $1 million three years ago.

Wilmington Residents Allegedly Scammed by Lottery Winner

A Wilmington couple was among 10 victims of an alleged scam by the owner of a Chelmsford oil company who won $1 million in the lottery three years ago.

The Boston Herald reported that Michael Santaniello, the owner of Mike's Oil Heat Service, was arrested on Tuesday and charged with allegedly taking $10,000 from victims.

Middlesex County District Attorney Gerry Leone said Santaniello, who skipped an initial court appearance about three months ago, told customers they needed new boilers and oil tanks, took money and never did the work.

“I just want to know why,” Leann Otis, 42, of Wilmington, said according to the Boston Herald story. “I trusted him. I’ve known him for 20 years. Why screw people like that?"

Santaniello charged the Otis family $700 after saying their oil tank needed immediate repair and then did not return phone calls after not showing up to perform the job, according to an e-mail to Wilmington Patch earlier this year.

He allegedly repeated the scam in several surrounding towns, mostly targeting elderly customers.

“What’s most disturbing is that this defendant continually repeated his scheme, all in an attempt to rip off vulnerable trusting members of the public who deserve better," Leone said, according to the Herald.

A Massachusetts Lottery spokesman told The Herald that Santaniello won $1 million on a scratch ticket in 2009, and that after taxes he receives $35,000 annually for the next 20 years.

There were warrants out for Santaniello's arrest in Lowell and Concord prior to his arrest.

"It’s a relief just to know something is going to be done,” Otis told the Herald.

Share This Article