Here are five things you need to know today in Woburn:
1) Prepare for Friday
This Friday will be an early dismissal day for Woburn Public Schools. Students will be heading out early on Friday as the city gears up for winter break. Dismissal times are:
- Woburn Memorial High School: 11:30 a.m.
- Joyce & Kennedy Middle Schools: 12 p.m.
- All Elementary Schools: 12:30 p.m.
School vacation will be Friday afternoon until Jan. 1. School resumes on Jan. 2, 2013.
2) Yes To Our Library raffle
The Woburn Public Library's building fund is holding a holiday basket raffle this month. People over 21 years old are able to purchase tickets for the drawing until tomorrow—Dec. 20. Included in the basket of goodies: three bottles of wine, gift cards, Christmas nesting bowls, chocolate truffles, note cards and more. Stop by the library to purchase tickets—$2 (1 ticket), $5 (3 tickets), and $10 (6 tickets).
3) We may see the sun today
According to the National Weather Service's pinpointed forecast for Woburn, that golden orb in the sky may make a special appearance today. After a couple of dreary days, Woburn is expected to have partial sunshine for most of the day and temperatures in the mid-40s. There will also be some high winds, with gusts as much as 28 miles per hour.
4) In case you missed it
A Woburn teenager was killed in a single-car crash Monday night in Malden. Her passenger, also a Woburn teen, was rushed to the hospital with serious injuries. For the full story, please click here.
5) Historic Headline
Let's take a walk through Woburn's history, shall we? A headline in the newspaper regarding Dec. 19 events in Woburn was:
- 1925—Seize Electrical Still at Woburn—We had to read this one a few times, then we remembered Prohibition... Woburn Police seized an electric still used in distilling alcohol in a barn at Burlington and Bedford streets. The still had a 50-gallon capacity. They also seized all the liquor.