Jul 25, 2014
67°
Clear

Mayor Galvin Officially Puts Out Candidate Debate Challenge

Mayor Galvin is asking for Woburn residents to bring questions for the candidates to the debate.

Mayor Galvin Officially Puts Out Candidate Debate Challenge
Mayor Scott Galvin has officially called upon the two challengers to meet for a debate in the lead-up to the Sept. 17 primary. 

Galvin had previously challenged candidate John Flaherty to a series of three debates in mid July. 

Flaherty accepted and posted his acceptance in the comments section on Woburn Patch

"This morning I spoke with Mayor Galvin personally to accept his invitation to a debate," Flaherty said. "The details will be worked out in the next few weeks. I look forward to an open and honest debate with Mayor Galvin and Mayoral Candidate Patrick Natale. This debate is a great opportunity for all the candidates to express their views to all the residents of the city of Woburn. Thank you." 

This week Galvin set out an official call for a debate to Flaherty and candidate Patrick Natale. Galvin suggested the debate be held starting at 7 p.m. on Monday, Sept. 9 in the Woburn Memorial High School auditorium. 

"The purpose of this debate is to provide the citizens of Woburn an opportunity to ask questions in an open, transparent public venue to determine the candidates' positions on various issue," Galvin said in a note about the debate. 

Galvin said the moderator would be David Frank, a managing editor of Massachusetts Lawyer's Weekly. Galvin said he will be a "neutral voice" in the debate. 

Galvin also invited Woburn residents to come with questions and said there would be an opportunity to ask them following the moderator's questions.   

Don’t miss updates from Patch!