Jul 28, 2014
Mostly Cloudy

Tin Can Auction Features iPad, Tigers Tickets and More

Berkley Athletics fundraiser on Friday also includes a home gym system, $500 cash and Grill Master as just a few of the Super Grand Prize items.

Tin Can Auction Features iPad, Tigers Tickets and More

The annual Tin Can Auction will return to this Friday for the 13th year.

This Berkley Bear Athletic Boosters fundraiser will run 5-10 p.m. and is free to attend. The event includes food, family activities and of course the much-anticipated auction.

Here’s how it works:

Tickets for the auction cost 25 cents each for General Prize, $1 for Grand Prize items and $5 for Super Grand Prize items in the auction. Guests drop as many of their tickets as they’d like in the tin can next to their coveted item and let the evening unfold.

Tin Can Auction Chairwoman Lisa Baker gave a sneak peek at some of the auction items this year:

  • General Prizes: Gift certificates to many local restaurants, businesses, personal and professional services; Pampered Chef, DIA passes, Detroit Tigers tickets, movie and theater tickets, health screenings, CPR classes, lots of sports apparel and an assortment of gift baskets.
  • Grand Prizes: Kindle Fire, Detroit Tigers tickets packages, Detroit Pistons tickets, $100 cash, fitness memberships, golf packages, mountain bike, firepits, $100 gas cards, 32" LED HDTV, mini frig with accessories and several spring clean-ip packages and supplies.
  • Super Grand Prizes: iPad 32g Wi-Fi, home gym system, $500 cash, 42" HDTV, Grill Master gas grill with side burner and cover, autographed sport jerseys, huge tool set and HP laptop package with printer and accessories.

“What is unique about our TCA is there is something for everybody — children, adults, families, etc.,” Baker said.

“It is an event that's filled with family fun, community involvement and over 400 prizes ranging from $25 to $3,000.  We encourage everyone to attend to support (the) community and support the Berkley High School athletic program.”

The displays open at 5 p.m. and drawings from each can will begin around 7 p.m.

The auction will take place in the Berkley High School West Gym. Of the money raised by each team's donated items, 75 percent will be returned directly to the team. The remaining 25 percent will go to the Athletic Boosters to help with other team needs.

For more information or opportunities to donate or get involved, call Baker at 248-425-3543. 

Don’t miss updates from Patch!