is joining forces with the Alliance for the Great Lakes to help further the Alliance's mission to conserve and restore the five freshwater lakes through education, policy and citizen involvement.
For more than 40 years, the independent citizens organization has been fully devoted to protecting the Great Lakes against threats like pollution, invasive species - such as Asian Carp - and wasteful water use.
“Since 1970 the Alliance for the Great Lakes has worked 100 percent to protect and restore the Great Lakes, but cannot do it alone,” said Jonah Smith, sustainable business director at the Alliance for the Great Lakes. “Everyone from families and schools to policymakers and businesses play a role, and Buddy’s Pizza is a shining example of how a long-standing and successful business with a great product can in turn use their success to promote progress for all, through stewardship of our most valuable resource in the region – the Great Lakes.”
Named “one of the best pizzas” by Pure Michigan, Buddy’s Pizza is set to unveil its first Made in Michigan Great Lakes Pizza Collection. All feature Buddy’s original crust and the Motor City Cheese Blend of fontinella, asiago and brick cheeses.
For each pizza from the Great Lakes Pizza Collection sold, Buddy’s will donate $1 to the Alliance for the Great Lakes. The pizzas are:
- Lake Huron – Spinach and artichoke blend, roasted tomatoes, fresh spinach
- Lake Ontario – Fresh cilantro, Canadian bacon, grilled pineapple, Buddy’s BBQ sauce
- Lake Michigan – Ground beef, carmelized onions, blue cheese, tomato basil sauce
- Lake Erie – Red onion, roasted red peppers, salami, pepperoncini, tomato basil sauce
- Lake Superior – Fresh basil, pine nuts, pepperoni, tomato basil sauce, Buddy’s spice blend.
“Buddy’s Pizza is proud to be not only a Detroit original but a Michigan made business,” company president Robert Jacobs said. “The health and welfare of our environment is and has always been important to us.”
To try one of the speciality pizzas, the closest on Woodward Avenue.