Free Art Exhibition on UM-Dearborn Campus:
- “In From The Cold”, a juried exhibition of recent works by members of the Detroit Society of Women Painters and Sculptors, opens this Friday, Jan. 24, at the Alfred Berkowitz Gallery on the University of Michigan-Dearborn campus.
A total of 81 pieces were selected for this show by juror Joseph Marks, who is also curator of the Berkowitz Gallery. A variety of paintings, drawings, collage, sculpture and mixed media pieces will be on display.
The gallery is located on the third floor of the Mardigian Library and the reception time is 5 to 7 p.m. Call the gallery at (313) 593-3592 for details.
Friday Night Basketball at the Center:
- Friday night basketball sessions at the Ford Community & Performing Arts Center will help kids ages 7-10 to work on shooting, passing, dribbling, and ball-handling, while also being able to enjoy a great game of basketball.
The program is held at the Center on Friday nights from 6 to 7:30 p.m., Jan. 17 to Feb. 28. Cost is $45 for pass holders, $50 for residents, and $60 for non-residents.
To register, go to the Service Desk at the Center or call (313) 943-2350.
DHS Choir Spaghetti Dinner Fundraiser:
-The Dearborn High School Choir is holding a spaghetti dinner this Saturday, Jan. 25, to help fund the choir's trip to Italy to sing at the Vatican in June of 2014.
It will be held from 6 to 9 p.m. at the Knights of Columbus Hall, 23663 Park St., Dearborn.
The dinner will include all you can eat pasta, rolls, salad and dessert. There will also be a 50/50 raffle, a basket raffle and entertainment by the DHS Choir.
Tickets are $10 for adults, and $7 for kids ages six and under. For Presale tickets contact Maria at (989) 493-3491, or Denise at (313) 319-0018.
Henry Ford Big Band Bop & Pop Concert:
-Henry Ford Community College's Big Band and Midnight Blue will present “ Big Band, Bop and Pop” this Saturday, Jan. 25, at the Michael A Guido Theater inside the Ford Community & Performing Arts Center.
Midnight Blue is an accomplished vocal jazz ensemble that performs the most challenging vocal jazz arrangements with big band, their own trio, or a cappella. The Henry Ford Big Band, founded in 1981, has performed at major jazz festivals throughout the world.
The groups will combine forces to perform tunes from artists like Count Basie, Leonard Bernstein, Maynard Ferguson, Chuck Mangione, Charlie Parker, and the rock group Three Dog Night.
The show starts at 8 p.m. Tickets are $20 and can be purchased through the Center Box Office at (313) 943-2354, or online by clicking here.
Last Chance to See "AVATAR: The Exhibition" at Henry Ford:
-This Sunday, Jan. 26, will be the last chance to see James Cameron’s " AVATAR: The Exhibition” at The Henry Ford Museum in Dearborn.
The exhibit, which takes you deep into the world of Pandora and the making of the extraordinary film, ran from Oct. 26, 2013 to Jan. 26, 2014.
Visitors are immersed into AVATAR through interactive displays that allow you to:
- Direct the three-dimensional orientation of a virtual camera and shoot a computer-rendered scene
- Perform on a virtual set that captures physical movements, and renders them real-time into a performance by a virtual character in a 3-D Pandoran environment
- Interact with touch tables to explore concept art used in creating AVATAR
- Experience the science of bioluminescence used in AVATAR
- Create your own plant life based on scientific/biological principles used in the film
- Experience the intricacies of sound design for film in a simple, fun, and powerful way.
- Personally experience being in the world of Pandora
Click here to see more events in Dearborn and surrounding areas.