There are a host of reasons why you should shop local—and this year, the Dearborn Area Chamber of Commerce has added one more.
The chamber has been handing out $25 gift cards all week long in partnership with American Express in honor of Small Business Saturday. And on the big day itself—Nov. 24—they're handing out 100 more at 10 local businesses in Dearborn and Dearborn Heights.
To win, follow the Dearborn Area Chamber of Commerce on Facebook and Twitter. Throughout the day, they'll direct shoppers to businesses, where chamber members will be waiting with the gift cards and other prizes. (Dearborn Patch will also be retweeting and sharing the times and locations of the events on our Facebook and Twitter accounts.)
The first 10 shoppers to show up will win the giftcards.
Learn more about the giveaway on Patch.
As you prepare to win your $25, here are some reasons to ruminate why it's a good idea to keep your dollars local this holiday season and beyond.
- According to www.the350project.net, for every $100 spent in locally owned independent stores, $68 returns to the community through taxes, payroll and other expenditures.
- Hate the idea of shoppers pushing each other to the ground over a discounted flat-screen, or employees skipping Thanksgiving dinner with their family to work crowd control at Walmart? Small Business Saturday is the shopping opposite of Black Friday.
- As Dearborn chamber President Jennifer Giering puts it, "The options in our own backyard are endless!" From outdoor supplies at English Gardens to throwback clothing at Retro Image Antiques, you can find pretty much anything you need or want in Dearborn and Dearborn Heights.
- Millions of shoppers can't be wrong. And in 2011, more 100 million people came out to shop at independently-owned small businesses on Small Business Saturday, according to American Express.
- Local businesses care about their community, too! Just look at the donations made to local causes by the owners of the Dearborn Sausage Company, or the beautiful Dearborn pictures taken by Besek Photography. If you want to help your community, help the people and businesses that make it thrive.
Don't forget to nominate your favorite Dearborn businesses to be featured on Patch. Details here.