The daily 5 has the weather forecast, gas prices, and some suggestions on how to spend your day.
1. The weather
The National Weather Service predicts a 40 percent chance of snow showers today, cloudy, with a high near 27 degrees.
2. Faberge: The Rise and Fall
The Detroit Institute of Arts (DIA) presents a slideshow and discussion on the rise and fall of Faberge at the Dexter District Library today at 7 p.m. The collection, currently on display at the DIA, features more than 200 unique objects from the Virginia Museum of Fine Arts, which houses the largest collection of Faberge in the United States. The discussion will highlight Karl Fabergé’s rise to fame, his ambition, artistic innovations, and privileged relationship with the Russian aristocracy.
3. Spaghetti dinner at Dexter United Methodist Church
Dexter United Methodist Church will host a spaghetti dinner today from 5:30 to 6:30 p.m. The dinner is $6 for adults, and $24 for families of four or more. Children under 5 eat for free. The meal includes spaghetti, bread, salad, and beverages.
- UPDATED: The spaghetti dinner will not take place today. Dinners resume on Jan. 10.
4. Gas prices
MichiganGasPrices.com reports the following gasoline prices in the Dexter area as of Wednesday night:
- $3.38 a gallon (regular) BP, 200 Baker Rd.
- $3.39 a gallon (regular), Sunoco, 2940 Baker Rd.
- $3.29 a gallon (regular), Pilot Service Station, 195 Baker Rd.
- $3.29 a gallon (regular), Pilot Service Station, 750 Baker Rd.
- $3.39 a gallon (regular), BP, 8135 Main St.
- $3.38 a gallon (regular), Mobil, 7177 Dexter-Ann Arbor Rd.
5. This day in history
Jan. 3, 1967: On this day, Jack Ruby, the Dallas nightclub owner who killed the alleged assassin of President John F. Kennedy, died of cancer in a Dallas hospital. The Texas Court of Appeals had recently overturned his death sentence for the murder of Lee Harvey Oswald and was scheduled to grant him a new trial. For more historic dates, visit www.history.com.