23 Aug 2014
77° Partly Cloudy

Be Aware of Dangers of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

Lawmaker who represents Hartland provides updates and views on various topics.

Be Aware of Dangers of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

By Cindy Denby

As cold weather sets in and we are all spending much more time inside, I want to encourage all residents to learn how to protect themselves against carbon monoxide poisoning. Because carbon monoxide cannot be detected by sight, smell, or taste, prevention and awareness are essential to protecting yourself and your family.  

Carbon monoxide is a toxic gas that is produced whenever any fuel such as gas, oil, or kerosene is burned. To avoid the risk of carbon monoxide exposure, residents should not use fuel-burning appliances including generators, grills, and camp stoves inside homes, basements, or garages. These appliances must be kept outside of these areas and away from any open windows or doors. Running a car in an enclosed garage also can create lethal levels of carbon monoxide and should be avoided at all costs. In addition, residents should purchase carbon monoxide protectors for their homes. These detectors sound an alarm if a buildup of gas it detected, alerting people in the house to potential danger.

Knowing the physical warning signs of carbon monoxide poisoning can be lifesaving to the victim as well as anyone in the surrounding area. Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning include headache, nausea, vomiting, dizziness, drowsiness and confusion. In the event that exposure does occur, residents should immediately evacuate the area of contamination and seek medical attention.

For more information about carbon monoxide poisoning and prevention, residents

 If you have any questions or need assistance with any state issues, please contact me toll free at 866-828-4863 or via e-mail at cindydenby@house.mi.gov

Share This Article