Jul 28, 2014
64°
Mostly Cloudy

What Are Novi's Historical Sites?

Novi has more than 20 historical sites, some dating back to the 1820s.

What Are Novi's Historical Sites?

Novi may be a place known for its new businesses and shopping districts, but it's also home to several historical sites.

The Novi Public Library has a list of 23 historical sites and buildings in Novi. Here's a look at a few of them.

The Bank Building
43341 Grand River Ave.

"This building and the one story shop building to the east were built in 1929. The two story building on the corner was originally constructed as a bank. However, the building was never operated as such due to the 1929 stock market crash and attendant run on banks. The building is constructed in the classical revival style with brick and limestone walls. This building is the most prominent remaining from the days that Novi was known as 'Novi Corners.' The architecture of the building attempts to communicate the security, solidity and permanence that towns people, merchants and farmers of the day expected of their bank." Read more and see a photo here.

Novi Cemetery
25445 Novi Road

"The original burial ground that would become the Novi Cemetery was donated by early Novi settler, Daniel Lee. In 1844, remains from graves on the Loren Flint farm, many dating from the early 1830s, were moved to the cemetery. The property was expanded to 2.5 acres in 1873 and renamed the Novi Cemetery. Many veterans are buried in the cemetery including those who served in the Revolutionary War, the War of 1812, the Civil War and WWI and WWII." See photos here.

Old Township Hall
45285 West Ten Mile Road

"The Novi Town Hall was originally sited on Novi Road just south of Grand River. The property was donated by C.C. Cage. Novi’s first Town Hall, constructed in 1876 at a cost of $800, caught fire in an electrical storm and was destroyed in 1912. The present white frame building was constructed in 1914 ... In 1986, the building was moved from Novi Road to a site just west of the old Novi Library. The Novi Town Hall was moved a few hundred feet southwest again in 2008 to make way for the new Novi library."  Read more and see photos here.

Novi Train Depot
43963 Grand River Ave.

"Although railroads were constructed in Michigan beginning in 1838, they did not arrive in Novi until the early 1870s ... The arrival of the railroad was a boon to the Novi community. Farmers were able to ship commodities that were bulky and/or perishable to markets in Detroit, Chicago and elsewhere in the United States. Novi was selected to be on the route of the Pere Marquette railroad rather than its neighbor West Novi (located on the corner of Wixom and Grand River Roads). The presence of the railroad allowed Novi to thrive. Without it, West Novi faded away." Read more and see photos here.

The Historical Commission, in cooperation with the Historical Society and Novi Public Library, is responsible for Old Township Hall -- which serves as a museum -- and for the collection, preservation and marking of historical sites. To find out about more historical sites, visit Novi Public Library's website.

Which historical sites have you visited? Tell us in the comments.

Don’t miss updates from Patch!