This story was posted at 10:15 p.m. Jan. 17.
Royal Oak Mayor Jim Ellison shared the details of a fire that damaged his house Friday afternoon on Facebook. With the Mayor's permission, here is his post:
Today, where to begin. First of all, Jodie and I are fine. We had a fire in our house this afternoon that caused significant damage. It appears that our dryer caught fire and the fire spread to other items that were stored in the basement. We have some structural damage to the floor beams, a good amount of water damage in the basement, but the significant issue is the smoke damage throughout the house. Everything has been damaged by smoke. Unfortunately, our cat Paulie did not make it, however the rest of that cats and dogs that were home are ok. We have two of them at the vet being treated for smoke inhalation, but the vet assures us that they should be fine. I cannot say enough about the professionalism and humanity of our
Royal Oak Fire Department. These guys responded very quickly and were fighting the fire within minutes of the call. When we informed them that the cats were inside, they proceeded to search until all were accounted for. I have always bragged about our fire department, but I never thought that I would need their service in this way. We have been displaced for a while but due to immediate response of my insurance agent, Curt Luke, we are being taken care of. The effects of a fire in your home are devastating. Walking through the house and seeing all of our possessions damaged sure tugs at your heartstrings, but the reality is Jodie and I are fine, the pets with the sad exception of our little guy, Paulie are fine. We have heard from countless friends and, neighbors and family offering to help. We are eternally grateful to your expressions of support. We are going to be okay. Let this be a lesson……clean out the vent hose of your dryer…OFTEN!