20 Aug 2014
80° Partly Cloudy
Patch Instagram photo by legallyblonde27
Patch Instagram photo by legallyblonde27
Patch Instagram photo by ermyceap
Patch Instagram photo by taratesimu
Patch Instagram photo by taratesimu
Patch Instagram photo by lilyava299
Patch Instagram photo by _mollfairhurst
Patch Instagram photo by thecontemporaryhannah
Patch Instagram photo by lucyketch

UPDATE: Suspects in Killing of Royal Oak Woman Charged with Murder

Alan Wood and Tonia Watson will be held without bond after being arraigned Tuesday in the Nov. 20 slaying of 80-year-old resident Nancy Dailey.

UPDATE: Suspects in Killing of Royal Oak Woman Charged with Murder UPDATE: Suspects in Killing of Royal Oak Woman Charged with Murder UPDATE: Suspects in Killing of Royal Oak Woman Charged with Murder

The two suspectswere formally charged with murder Tuesday in of Royal Oak.

Alan Craig Wood, 48, and Tonia Michelle Watson, 40, were charged in in Royal Oak in a hearing before Judge Terrence Brennan. Watson appeared in court; Wood was arraigned via video camera.

Wood was charged with first-degree premeditated murder, felony murder, two counts of credit card fraud and larceny in a building; Watson was charged with felony murder and credit card fraud. Both premeditated murder and felony murder charges carry mandatory life imprisonment penalties.

Detective testifies to details of the killing

During Tuesday's hearing, Royal Oak Police Detective Carl Barretto described the details and circumstances of the killing of Dailey, whom a relative found the evening of Nov. 20 lying on the floor of her Trafford Road home in a pool of blood.

“The dresser drawer in Dailey’s bedroom was open and gone through,” Barretto testified. “Several of her items were on the floor and on the bed.” The kitchen phone was disconnected, and Dailey's cell phone, wallet and identification could not be located, the detective said.

Later, detectives discovered Dailey’s credit cards were used at three locations, according to Barretto's testimony. Video of the transactions showed Wood using Dailey’s bank card twice and Watson using it once, he said.

On Nov. 21, Dailey’s cell phone was located on the roof of the . A list of registered guests revealed Tonia Watson was staying at the motel, Barretto said.

Tonia Watson shares her story

After her arrest, Barretto said Watson told detectives her account of what happened in Dailey's home.

"Watson stated that she and Wood needed money and did yard work for Dailey. Wood mentioned to Watson that he want to rob someone and mentioned Dailey," Barretto said.

Barretto said Watson stated Wood wanted her to knock on the front door while he gained entry into the side door. 

"Watson was then called into Dailey’s home by Wood, who was already inside Dailey’s home and had ahold of Dailey in the kitchen," he said.

Watson told detectives Wood demanded Dailey's ATM personal identification number. "Watson stated Wood became angry when Dailey refused to give her ATM pin number and began assaulting her," Barretto told the court.

The detective said Watson stated Wood threw Dailey to the floor and began "punching, kicking and stomping her... also attempted to break Dailey’s neck."

"Then he used his scarf to tie Dailey’s arms behind her back. Watson then stated the Wood left Dailey crying in pain on the floor. Watson stated that Wood pulled out and unfolded his knife and said, 'You know what I have to do.'"

Watson said she knew Wood was going to kill Dailey because she would be able to identify him, he said. 

"Watson then said Wood used his knife to cut Nancy Dailey's throat and stab her in the neck," Barretto said.

Watson told police that they then returned to the motel to sort through Dailey's belongings, including her passport and credit cards, Barretto testified. Wood was nervous that they had left evidence at the scene and returned to Dailey's home only to find police were already on the scene, he said.

Dailey was found lying face down with her arms tied behind her back, Barretto said. “Dailey had a large laceration through her neck and a stab wound on the right side of her neck,” the detective testified.

Watson, Wood called 'extreme danger to the community'

Watson and Wood have extensive criminal records. When they were arrested, both were wanted on parole absconder warrants issued by the Michigan Department of Corrections. Wood was on parole for breaking and entering and Watson was on parole for receiving and concealing stolen property and felony firearm.

Royal Oak Police said Wood and Watson were known to go door to door under the guise of looking to do odd jobs for homeowners to make money.

Oakland County Prosecutor Tricia Dare asked Brennan to deny the pair bond, saying they are “extreme danger to the community and are an extreme flight risk.” Dare also asked that Wood and Watson not be allowed contact with each other.

Wood stood with his arms crossed and rolled his eyes as the judge ordered him held without bond. Watson is also held without bond.

Brennan scheduled preliminary examination hearings for Wood and Watson for  Friday in 44th District Court.

Royal Oak Police Chief comments

In a news conference following the hearing mid-day Tuesday, Royal Oak Police Chief Corrigan O’Dononhue expressed his sympathy for the friends and family of Dailey, who was an involved and well-liked member of her Woodwardside neighborhood and great community.

“This tragedy has really affected our department, as well as the entire Royal Oak community,” O’Dononue said. “I am very pleased that the two people responsible have been located and arrested.”

Share This Article