22 Aug 2014
75° Partly Cloudy
Patch Instagram photo by stclairshorespatch

Gas Leak Causes Evacuation of Elmwood Elementary School

Students and staff were temporarily evacuated Thursday morning from Elmwood Elementary School due to a gas leak at Kipling and Englehardt.

Gas Leak Causes Evacuation of Elmwood Elementary School

Students and staff at Elmwood Elementary School were temporarily evacuated Thursday morning due to a gas leak at Kipling and Englehardt in St. Clair Shores.

Consumers Energy informed South Lake Schools during the 9 a.m. hour that crews were capping a gas leak at the intersection and advised district administration to begin the process of evacuating students and staff from the building.

According to a post on the district Facebook page, emergency procedures were immediately followed as students and staffed were bussed to South Lake High School.

While students were being transferred, Consumers Energy crews were able to cap the leak and allow students and staff to return to the school.

Dan Bishop, a Consumers Energy spokesman, wrote in an email that "the leak appears to be related to a coupling leak on the gas service main, and that repairs are underway."

All students and staff were returned safely to Elmwood Elementary School and all scheduled activities have resumed, according to the Facebook post.

The gas leak also forced the closure of the Lakeshore YMCA.

Follow Patch for updates on this story.

Share This Article