Five local stories to keep an eye on Aug. 5-11:
1. For West Bloomfield residents, many of the issues and elected officials being voted on in the Aug. 7 primary could prove more influential than those in the November general election. Polls open at 7 a.m. Tuesday morning and close at 8 p.m. Looking for more information? Visit the Elections 2012 tab on Patch.
2. The president of Ann Arbor-based Thomas More Law Center will speak at an event billed as a "Community Legal Briefing" on the controversial sale of Farmington Public Schools' Eagle Elementary School building to the Islamic Cultural Center (ICA) of Franklin. The discussion starts at 7 p.m. Wednesday at .
3. The weather forecast calls for mostly sunny daytime skies early in the week, with temperatures peaking in the early-80s, according to the National Weather Service. Thunderstorms could be in the cards for West Bloomfield as early as Thursday.
4. No need for alarm if you see feather boa-clad men and women running through the neighborhood during the annual Red Carpet Run at 6 p.m. Wednesday. The 5K run through the Shops at Old Orchard should prove a fun event for onlookers as much as the fabulous runners.
5. annual rummage sale takes place Sunday through Tuesday. A recent article in the Detroit Free Press touted the rummage sale as a "good one," with high-quality items for sale at low prices.