Jul 30, 2014
65°
Mostly Cloudy

West Bloomfield Residents Accused of Medicare Fraud

Here's a recap of the biggest stories in West Bloomfield during the week of July 8-13.

West Bloomfield Residents Accused of Medicare Fraud

A lot happened this past week, and we want to make sure you didn't miss a thing. Here are some of the biggest stories:

West Bloomfield residents accused of Medicare fraud

The federal government claims two West Bloomfield residents have stolen more than $8 million by taking advantage of Medicare in a home health care scheme.

Usha Shah, 63, and Deepak Shah, 63, allegedly submitted more than $8.8 million in bogus claims to Medicare for home health care services that were either medically unnecessary and/or never provided. The Shahs are also accused by the Federal Bureau of Investigations of paying cash kickbacks in return for obtaining Medicare beneficiaries' identification.

In a release issued Wednesday, U.S. Attorney Barbara McQuade said, "Medicare fraud cheats taxpayers out of money intended to pay for health care. We want providers to know that we are scrutinizing billing records to root out fraud."

Grandmother of slain West Bloomfield teen stands mute

Sandra Layne, 74, a former schoolteacher, stood mute Thursday morning at her arraignment on an open charge of murder and possession of a firearm in the commission of a felony. 

Prosecutors say  Jonathan Hoffman, 17, died May 18 as a  to his upper body at the hands of Layne, his grandmother, in the West Bloomfield condominium which she owns on Brookview Lane.

To stand mute means that a not guilty plea was entered on Layne's behalf. She did not speak during the arraignment.

With a thin smile in an orange jumpsuit, Layne gestured to family from the jury box of Circuit Court Judge Denise Langford Morris while in court. The charges were not read aloud and a pre-trial status conference was scheduled for Sept. 13.

 detectives are investigating the possible theft of computer cards used to count votes from at .

The missing cards, about 25 in number and resembling the size of playing cards, should not comprimise the integrity of the Aug. 7 primary, Township Clerk Cathy Shaughnessy said.

Backup cards were previously programmed and will be available to use. The security of ballots were not compromised.

"There were no signs of forced entry in the building or the immediate area in which the cards were kept," Chief Michael Patton said Thursday.

"We're looking at who has access to that area. What we know so far is there are a number of department heads and other officials who have had access. We'll interview those people."

Don’t miss updates from Patch!