Lynnhurst residents should be on the lookout for burglars, according to the Minneapolis Police Department.
Between 11:30 p.m. Thursday and 12:30 a.m. on Friday, two burglaries were reported on the 1900 block of West 49th Street. An attempted burglary was reported around the same time on the 1800 block of the same street.
The perpetrator stole purses in both burglaries. Police describe him as a white male around six feet tall, with a muscular build, wearing dark clothing, and a ski mask.
When police were canvassing the neighborhood to try to find the criminal, they found another house whose screen had been slashed.
To prevent burglaries, police offer the following tips:
- Lock your home, apartment, and garage doors and windows at all time, even if you are at home.
- Record the make, model, and serial number of all valuables and keep in a safe place.
- Secure windows and doors of homes and garages. (See attached for more info)
- If you have a security system, use it even while at home.
- Consider using timers on lights, radios and/or TVs when not at home.
- Don’t leave valuables on porches, in the yard, or in other unsecured areas.
- Use outdoor lighting that eliminates shadows and hiding spots.
- Leave outdoor lights on from dusk ‘til dawn by installing inexpensive photo-electric censors.
- Know your neighbors and look out for one another.
- Join or initiate a block group.
- Call 911 to report a burglary or any suspicious activity in your neighborhood.