- St. Charles Annual Community Worship Celebration "Building a More Beloved Community" 7 p.m. Jan. 21 at St. Charles Borromeo Catholic Parish. Dr. T.D. Stubblefield, pastor of First Baptist Church of Chesterfield, will speak and the Community Builder Award and Human Rights Commission Award will be presented.
- A Civil Rights March and Tribute to Dr. Martin Luther King will be held at 2:45 p.m. Jan. 21 at the Lindenwood University Spellman Center and continue to the Jekyll Theatre. A tribute will begin at 3 p.m. Keynote speaker is Latricia Buckner. Admission is free.
- MLK Day Celebration at University of Missouri St. Louis will be held at 10 a.m. Jan. 21 at the Touhill Performing Arts Center. Julianne Malveaux will be the guest speaker. A program for children ages 5-11 will run concurrently.
- Civic Ceremony and March of Celebration will begin at 10 a.m. Jan. 21 at the Old Courthouse at 4th and Market and will include remarks from elected officials. At 11 a.m. a March of Celebration will continue to Powell Symphony Hall. At 12:30 a.m. an interfaith service will be held at Powell Symphony Hall. Admission is free.
- Free MLK Day Basketball Clinic will be held at 10:30 a.m. Jan. 21 for youth on the autism spectrum. Staffed by high school and college basketball player volunteers that are eager to instruct and offer one on one individualized instruction to your child. Parents encouraged to stay and watch on bleachers. The Center of Clayton, 50 Gay Ave., 63195.
- St. Louis County Library presents Black History Month Kick-Off will be held at 7 p.m. Fri., Jan. 25. Miss Robbie Montgomery owns three soul food restaurants in St. Louis and is the star of the top rated television program, "Welcome to Sweetie Pies.” Miss Montgomery will share her fascinating life journey that led her to become a successful businesswoman. Join us afterwards for a sample of desserts from Sweetie Pies. St. Louis County Library Headquarters, 1640 S. Lindbergh, 63131. For more information, call (314) 994-3300.
Give Back: Local Organizations Offer Service Opportunities
- Samaritan's Feet International will host a Shoes of Hope Distribution at Ferguson-Florissant Administration Building, 1005 Waterford Drive
Florissant, MO, from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Jan. 18. Those interested in volunteering should arrive at 9 a.m. Sign up to help here.
- Help with O'Fallon's Fifth Annual Martin Luther King Jr Day of Service from 9 a.m. to 12 p.m. Jan. 21. Events include creating origami flowers, decorating cards for residential care centers and others yet to be determined. For more information contact Alexis Jaegers at 636-379-5408.