This weekend, ditch the car, hop on the MetroLink and take the train to the country’s second largest Mardi Gras celebration—in St. Louis City. To get yourself in the mood first, check out these Cajun and French restaurants in or near Clayton for an inspired lunch.
- The Gumbo Shop Get your fill of jambalaya, etoufee and crawfish in big portions at affordable prices to put yourself into the spirit of New Orleans before hopping on the train to Soulard.
- Almonds Restaurant Whether you’re in a mood for a bowl of gumbo or a crawfish-topped salad, your lunch will come with a bag of Zapp’s Chips (made in Louisiana), which you can take down to Soulard for a themed salty snack.
- Chez Leon Indulge in the French influence on New Orleans culture with a meal at Chez Leon with some shrimp sauteed with bacon or a bowl of mixed seafood pasta.
- City Coffeehouse and Creperie If you’re heading out early but don’t want to get too stuffed before the festivities, try a light French-inspired meal of breakfast crepes to put yourself in a decadent mood.
- If you’re in the mood for something cajun, this is the place to pick up some griddled crab and crawfish cakes, Creole Gumbo or Bayou Shrimp while your burger- and pizza-loving friends get a more mainstream lunch.