It's on as the St. Louis Cardinals take on the Texas Rangers at home Friday for Game 7 of the 2011 Major League Baseball World Series.
All signs are pointing to a St. Louis to take the throne. So Hazelwood Patch thought it would be fun to share a few facts about Game 7 throughout history.
According to Fox News:
- Game 7 Drought: The World Series hasn’t gone seven games since the L.A. Angels defeated the S.F. Giants in 2002.
- 1903: This eight-year Game 7 absence is the longest since the World Series began in 1903.
- Record Holders: The Cardinals hold the record for most World Series Game 7s, going 7-3.
- AWOL: There was no World Series was played in 1994 due to the 1994-95 strike.
According to CBS News:
- Home Field Advantage: Home teams have won the last eight Game 7s in the World Series, a streak that started with the Cardinals beating Milwaukee in 1982.
- Best-of-seven: The format was adopted permanently in 1922.
According to ESPN:
- Hit the Road: No road team has won a Game 7 in 32 years, since the 1979 Pirates.
- Lucky 2: The Cardinals have won 80 percent of their World Series when trailing 3-2 with the final two games at home.
Who will end up on the throne? We'll just have to see.