We've got a round up of five places you might not have heard of where you can pick apples. All are within an hour or so of .
1. Herman's Farm: Herman's Farm in St. Charles has Jonathan, Red Delicious and Jon-A-Gold and Honeycrisp Apples available for picking from 9 a.m. to 7 p.m. each day.
2. Thierbach Orchards: Thierbach Orchards, located in Marthasville, MO, has apples available for picking on Saturdays and Sundays from 9 a.m. and to 6 p.m. for $1.30 a pound. They have bags available for you to use. Varieties include Prima, Gala, Honeycrisp, Missouri Red, Jonathan, Lura Red, Ellstar, Empire and Ultra Red Deli, among others.
3. Centennial Farms: Located in Augusta, MO, Centennial Farms has pick your own apples available Monday-Saturday from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. and Sunday from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m with Jonathan, Red Delicious, Golden Delicious, Empire and Jonagold available. They also have a farm funland which has an admission to get in.
4. Mills Apple Farm: Across the river in Illinois, Mills Apple Farm is about 25 minutes away from St. Louis. Head out on a fall weekend, ride the wagon and pick a bag full of apples. Check out their calendar for a schedule of events including Apple Festival Weekend Sept. 22 and 23.
5. Broom Orchard: Located in Carlinville, IL, Broom Orchard is open from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Saturday and noon to 5 p.m. Sunday. The orchard offers pick your own Braeburns, Jonagold, Red and Golden Delicious, Jonathans and Empire. Their annual apple festival is Sept. 22 and 23.