The , 8400 Watson Rd., announced less than a week ago that they'd be closing shop on Aug. 24, and it already seems to have put a wrench in the routines of several St. Louis residents who prefer to buy local.
It may not be goodbye forever. Management have not announced any future plans, but said in a statement they are “continuing to look for opportunities for other store locations in the region.”
You can still hope to snag some of the market's remaining inventory for 20 percent off, but where will loyal customers go when Farmer Fred waves goodbye later this month? Some Sunset Hills-Crestwood Patch Facebook fans suggested alternative sources of locally-grown food as the aisles thin out, listed below. Patch has also added some nearby farmers markets provided by the University of Missouri’s Agricultural Electronic bulletin Board.
- Local Harvest Grocery, 3108 Morgan Ford Rd., St. Louis
- Local Harvest Café, 3137 Morgan Ford Rd., St Louis
- Maude's Market, 4219 Virginia Ave.
- St. Louis Area Community Helpings Coop, multiple communities (online ordering)
- Kirkwood Farmers’ Market, Monday-Saturday, April-September. Winter hours vary.
- Webster Groves Farmers’ Market, May-October
- Schlafly Farmers’ Market (Maplewood), Wednesdays, April-October
- Clayton Farmers Market, Saturdays, May-November
- Arnold Farmers Market, Saturdays, May-October
- Tower Grove Farmers Market, Saturdays, May-October
- Market in the Loop (University City), Thursday-Saturday year-round
- Soulard Farmers Market, Wednesday-Saturday year-round
One Patch reader also pointed out that a Kirkwood resident on the 100 block of Girard Place is selling jars of homemade honey!
Local Harvest Cafe announced earlier this year they'd be opening a . A farmers' market has also been a use proposed by Centrum Properties for the .