SONG OF THE DAY: "Losing You" by Solange
Good morning, Salem! Here are five things you need to know today, Friday, Dec. 28:
1. 'HOPE' FOR A CURE: Black Water Grill will host the "'Hope' For A Cure" fundraiser Saturday evening for Hope Micklon, a local woman battling colon cancer. Tickets are $25 in advance and $30 at the door.
2. CLAIM YOUR BUSINESS LISTING: Are you a Salem business owner? Have you claimed your business listing with us yet? Find out how here.
3. BLOG FOR US: We are looking for fantastic Salem readers to add to our local voices section. Blog about something that interests you, whether it be sports, politics, music, history, food or anything in between! Visit here to write your first post today.
4. THIS DAY IN HISTORY: On this day in 1895, the world's first commercial movie screening takes place at the Grand Cafe in Paris. The film was made by Louis and Auguste Lumiere, two French brothers who developed a camera-projector called the Cinematographe. The Lumiere brothers unveiled their invention to the public in March 1895 with a brief film showing workers leaving the Lumiere factory. On December 28, the entrepreneurial siblings screened a series of short scenes from everyday French life and charged admission for the first time. Information courtesy of History.com.
5. TODAY'S FORECAST: Mostly sunny with highs in the mid-30s. Partly cloudy tonight with lows around 17.