UPDATE: Ship Bottom Fire That Destroyed Law Offices Ruled Accidental
Fire apparently began in a cigarette receptacle outside the building
A preliminary investigation into the blaze that ripped through a law office in Ship Bottom Monday has been deemed accidental, a spokesman for the Ocean County Prosecutor's Office said.
The structural fire started outside the offices of Shackleton and Hazeltine, at 2119 Long Beach Boulevard on Monday afternoon, in a cigarette receptacle, said Capt. Jack Sramaty.
The Ocean County Fire Marshal's Office and investigators will still on the scene this morning and will make the final determination as to the cause of the fire, he said.
If they uncover anything of a criminal nature, the Prosecutor's Office will also step in, Sramaty said.
Area roadways were closed and motorists were warned to expect delays throughout the area Monday afternoon. Fire personnel set up a draft to funnel water out of the bay.
Long Beach Boulevard was shut down in both directions near the fire scene. Traffic south was backed up to Beach Haven at the height of the fire.