Friday is the official start of the Summer Olympic Games in London. So in honor of the exciting day, we present five things to know about this year's Olympic games.
Information from www.london2012.com.
- Two Weeks Long—The Olympics are two weeks long, from July 27 through Aug. 12.
- 36 Sports—There will be a total of 36 sports played, including gymnastics, cycling, volleyball, diving, fencing and more.
- Long Torch Route—The carrying of the Olympic torch began May 19 in Land's End and end's 70 days later at the location of the games.
- Bells Ringing—The opening ceremonies will begin with the ringing of bells at 8:12 a.m. Friday, where anyone can ring a bell for three minutes to be part of the celebration.
- Tower Bridge—There are giant Olympic rings hanging from the bridge to represent the start of the games.