14 Sep 2014
60° Mostly Cloudy
Patch Instagram photo by patch
Patch Instagram photo by longunderwearman
Patch Instagram photo by longunderwearman
Patch Instagram photo by longunderwearman
Patch Instagram photo by mrlum
Patch Instagram photo by mrlum
Patch Instagram photo by rowangrad1998
Patch Instagram photo by rowangrad1998
Patch Instagram photo by rowangrad1998

South Jersey Man Identified As LAX Fatal Shooter; Neighbors Shocked

South Jersey Man Identified As LAX Fatal Shooter; Neighbors Shocked
By Anthony Bellano

Pennsville, N.J. residents expressed disbelief that a local man was  identified as the gunman in Friday's fatal shooting at Los Angeles International Airport.

Paul Ciancia, 23, who grew up in Pennsville and now lives in Los Angeles, was in custody following the shooting that left one person dead, multiple people wounded and disrupted flights nationwide.

One neighbor of Ciancia's family home, Joshua Pagan of Pittsfield Street, said: "You hear everything that goes on in this neighborhood and there's never anything wrong with this family."

"This doesn't feel right. It feels like they got something wrong," said Pagan.

An officer with the Transportation Security Administration was killed during the shooting, and a second TSA officer was wounded in the leg, according to the publication.

The shooter’s brother got a text message from Ciancia Friday saying he was thinking about taking his life, Pennsville Police Chief Allen J. Cummings said. After the brother received the text, he told his father who then told Cummings.

Cummings, speaking outside the family's home, said he then contacted the Los Angeles Police Department, who then went to Ciancia's apartment in Los Angeles and found nobody was home.

At the family's Pittsfield Street home on Friday night, media trucks lined the road, and two police cars with officers inside were parked outside the family's residence.

Residents said Ciancia's father owns Salem County Collision, and that his mother was a breast cancer survivor. He also has a brother and sister.

Cummings said he's also never had a problem with the family. He said Ciancia's family "didn't know he owned weapons," though they were concerned about the text message.

"They had no indication of any problems until today," Cummings said.

Patrick Gannon, chief of the Airport Police Department, said the suspect walked into the airport, pulled an assault rifle out of a bag and started shooting.

"He proceeded up into the screening area where TSA screeners are and continued shooting," Gannon said, adding that the gunman "went past the screeners and back into the terminal itself."

Gannon said police pursued the gunman, who was shot and taken into custody inside the terminal. The gunman's condition was not immediately known.

The Transportation Security Administration confirmed early Friday afternoon that one of its agents was killed in the shooting. It wasn't immediately clear if the agent was the same man who died at Harbor-UCLA Medical Center at about11 a.m.

Interim Los Angeles Fire Chief Jim Featherstone said paramedics treated seven people at the airport, and six were taken to area hospitals. One person apparently declined to be transported, fire officials said.

Officials at Ronald Reagan UCLA Medical Center said it was treating three male patients, one in critical condition and two in fair condition. At least two other patients were believed to be at Harbor UCLA Medical Center, but their conditions were not immediately known.

Some initial reports indicated that a second suspect had been arrested, but Gannon said, "This was a lone shooter," and the gunman "was the only person that was armed in this incident."

David Bowdich, FBI special agent in charge, declined to provide any details of the investigation, but said, "At this point, we do not see any additional threats here at the airport."

In a statement, the FBI noted that the agency is still investigating the shooting.

"It would be premature to comment on a motivation at this time and joint investigators have neither ruled out terrorism, nor ruled it in," according to the statement.

The outbreak of gunfire sparked chaos inside the terminal, as passengers scrambled to evacuate.

A witness told KNX radio that people began scrambling to evacuate the terminal when the shots rang out. She said some people were directed out through emergency exits onto the tarmac until they were picked up by buses and taken to another terminal.

Airline passenger Dana Starfield told KCAL9 she and other passengers hid in a closet at the terminal after the shots rang out.

"We were all just texting our families and where we were," she told the station. "... I just let them know where I was and that I was OK."

Century Boulevard was closed off leading into the airport, blocking all traffic into LAX, and motorists were advised to avoid the area. Traffic was at a standstill on streets heading toward the airport. Freeway exits near the airport were also closed.

Service to the airport on Green Line and Flyaway buses also was suspended,  according to Metro.

A ground stop was issued for the airport, meaning planes around the country bound for LAX were being held on the ground. Planes already in the air were landing at LAX, and planes at other terminals were being allowed to depart, according to the mayor's office.

Gina Marie Lindsey, head of Los Angeles World Airports, the city agency that operates the airport, said some flights were diverted to LA/Ontario International Airport, but planes were still landing at LAX.

"I want to let everyone know that technically LAX is still accepting incoming flights, but we are doing that at less than half of our normal arrival rate," she said.

She advised passengers to keep in close contact with their airlines, noting that all flights from the airport will likely be delayed for most of the day.

The shooting was the first of its type at LAX since 2002, when an Egyptian-born Irvine resident opened fire at the El Al ticket counter on the Fourth of July.

El Al employee Victoria Hen and Yaakov Aminov, who was at LAX to see a friend off, were killed and several other people were injured before the gunman -- Hesham Mohamed Hadayet -- was shot dead by an El Al security officer.

This article contains reporting from City News Service in Los Angeles

Share This Article