Play a valuable role in a girl’s future! Be a part of Girl Scouts new high school program in science, technology, engineering, and math! No special skills needed – anyone can do it! Imagine Your STEM Future is a flexible was to volunteer with Girl Scouts – the series is organized to accommodate your schedule.
Imagine Your STEM Future offers volunteers and educators the:
· Opportunity to be a role model. You get to be part of the excitement as girls investigate how things work.
· Chance to join an organization known for creating outstanding women leaders and impacting a girl’s future.
· Way to leverage learning from the classroom to after-school while having fun.
Research shows that girls want to have careers that help them make the world a better place. Imagine mentoring a girl who becomes interested in exploring a career as a system analyst or an engineer because you were there. Imagine how volunteering will change her life for the better!
This flexible four-unit program, which can be conducted in four or eight sessions, can be delivered either in school or out of school, and does not require complex equipment. And because it was developed through the Girl Scouts’ unique lens of leadership, girls learn critical thinking, problem solving, and how to seek challenges—all critical for STEM studies and careers. Next Generation Science Standards emphasize that practice is an outcome—and this program provides a safe opportunity for girls to practice science, trying experiments available at several experience levels, specifically designed to engage them.
This program has already been piloted with more than 6,000 underserved girls across the United States with extremely positive results. In post-evaluation research done by the Girl Scout Research Institute, girls said that the program:
· increased their interest in STEM
· led them to become more informed about STEM careers
· helped them realize how important it is to take math and science in school
· raised their confidence in their STEM skills
· increased their critical thinking abilities and resourceful problem solving
GSCSNJ is looking for facilitators throughout the council for this program. If you or someone you know might be interested in facilitating this program there are a few paths to more information:
· Contact us at email@example.com or 609-849-0741.
· Attend one of the Imagine Your STEM Future facilitator workshops
o 2/1/14, 10:00 am – 3:00 pm, click here for more information or to register
o 2/8/14, 10:00 am – 3:00 pm, click here for more information or to register
o 3/20/14, 9:00 am – 2:00 pm, click here for more information