19 Aug 2014
70° Partly Cloudy
Patch Instagram photo by ermyceap
Patch Instagram photo by taratesimu
Patch Instagram photo by taratesimu
Patch Instagram photo by lilyava299
Patch Instagram photo by _mollfairhurst
Patch Instagram photo by thecontemporaryhannah
Patch Instagram photo by lucyketch
Patch Instagram photo by laurabarreto87
Patch Instagram photo by lghtwght

Details Emerge Regarding the Capture of Monday's Home Invader

Tyrone Gadsden said he was there to fix a "problem with the water" then bound woman with duct tape before punching her in the face.

Details Emerge Regarding the Capture of Monday's Home Invader Details Emerge Regarding the Capture of Monday's Home Invader


The West Orange Police Department provided some new details into the where Tyrone Gadsden, of Roselle, attack a woman and robbed a house.

Gadsden, 48, was wearing an orange vest and white hard hat as he went to the house on North Hillside Avenue in Livingston. Once inside, he took capture of a worker in the residence and ransacked the house before leading police on a car chase throughout Livingston. Once Gadsden eluded the Livingston Police Department, the West Orange counterparts pulled Gadsden over around 10 minutes later.

“Livingston broadcasted a crime alert from their jurisdiction regarding a home invasion in their town," West Orange Capt. John Buoye told Patch on Tuesday.  "They had a description and a registration number of the vehicle, with a description of the suspect inside the car." 

Soon after the alter was broadcast, West Orange police officer Patrick Matullo observed the suspect’s vehicle waiting at the traffic light at the intersection of Main Street and Mt. Pleasant Avenue. 

Once the license plate number was confirmed, a motor vehicle stop was conducted and backup immediately arrived. Buoye said that West Orange officers blocked off the stopped Mercedes Benz with about six or seven police cars in front and behind it in case Gadsden attempted to escape. 

Gadsden was taken into custody without incident. The entire incident took about 45 minutes. 

“It was that easy,” said Buoye. “Especially being the felony vehicle, the driver did not flee the scene. ... Who knows ... the reasoning.  Once the officer conducted the motor vehicle stop, [Gadsden] just remained calm.” 

Gadsden was held by the WOPD at the intersection until Livingston police arrived and took over the investigation. Livingston police took the suspect into custody and towed the vehicle. 

“It was all turned over to them,” said Buoye.

Gadsden is being charged with robbery, aggravated assault, kidnapping, theft and criminal restraint.  He was last reported to be in the Livingston local lock-up, but is expected to be transferred to the Essex County Jail.

Share This Article