Exuberant crowds gathered along the finish line in Holmdel Park Saturday to watch cross country racer Edward Cheserek, of St. Benedict's Prep in Newark, break the 5K course record.
Cheserek finished the race in muddy conditions with a time of 14:53 to cheers.
According to MileSplit.us, Cheserek beat Joe Rosa's historic 14:56 record, set when Rosa was a junior at West Windsor-Plainsboro North in 2009.
Following Cheserek, almost a full minute later, were the second through sixth place winnners — all from Christian Brothers Academy, in the Lincroft section of Middletown. Read the Star Ledger's interview with second place winner CBA's Tim Gorman with 15:54, one of six CBA'ers who set personal best records in the race.
Here are the top 10 winners of the Boys 5K Championship Cross Country Run:
- Edward Cheserek, JR. at St. Benedict's Prep Jr. 14:53*New Course Record
- Tim Gorman, SR. at Christian Brothers, 15:54
- George Kelly, SR. at Christian Brothers 16:03
- Mike McClemens, SO at Christian Brothers 16:03
- Jack Boyle, JR Christian Brothers 16:17
- Conrad Lippert, SR Christian Brothers 16:25
- Tony Russell, SO West Chester Henderson 16:30
- Noah Jacobs, SR Lacey 16:32
- Travis Fodor, SR Holmdel 16:35
- Greg Halla, JR Haddonfield Mem 16:36
More than 100 boys' and girls' high school running teams spent the day in Holmdel Park Saturday under tents and jogging through paths in their anticipation to take part in dozens of competitive races.
The race results are available at the Fraulo Race Timing website, which provided the computerized scoring and timing service.