Super Why! characters “Whyatt” and “Princess Presto” are known for helping give children the power to read. Last Monday, they made a special appearance at the Village Food Garden Culinary Center at the ShopRite of Greater Morristown, where together with the store’s registered dietitian, Jessica Guarnieri and chef Danny Arturo, they encouraged children to enjoy eating healthier with an interactive cooking class.
The free healthy cooking class was sponsored by The Kids Cook Monday and Produce for Kids organizations, along with ShopRite of Greater Morristown. More than 75 children and their parents joined in on the fun, making Power Smoothies, PB Fruit Roll-Ups, and Chocolatey Fruit Skewers.
Each little chef received a Kids Cook Monday chef hat, a gift bag from Produce for Kids and Sprout, and posed for pictures with the Super Why! characters.
“The goal of the class and Kids Cook Monday is to encourage parents and children to cook and eat together as a family. When kids help prepare a meal, they are more likely to taste it, so it is a great way to encourage children
to try new foods,” said Jessica Guarnieri, ShopRite of Greater Morristown’s registered dietitian. “The dishes we prepared incorporated healthy foods such as fruits, vegetables and whole grains. It was really fun seeing the
children making and eating their creations.”
For parents who want to try making these dishes at home with their children, here are the recipes:
PB FRUIT ROLL-UP (Serves 2) Prep Time: 10 min
1 banana, mashed
2 tsp. honey
¼ cup low-sodium peanut butter (or SunButter as substitute)
2 (8-inch) whole wheat tortilla
1 kiwi, thinly sliced
4 medium strawberries, thinly sliced
¼ tsp. cinnamon
1. Mix banana, honey and peanut butter (or SunButter) in small bowl.
2. Spread onto tortilla and layer with kiwi and strawberries. Sprinkle with cinnamon.
3. Roll up tortilla, slice into 1-inch thick slices and serve.
CHOCOLATEY FRUIT SKEWER (Serves 4) Prep Time: 12 min
1 premade pound cake
1 cup pineapple, chunked
¼ cup chocolate syrup
4 (6-inch) bamboo skewers1.
1. Cut pound cake into 12 1x1-inch squares.
2. Assemble skewers with pound cake, strawberries, raspberries and pineapple. Drizzle with chocolate syrup.
POWER SMOOTHIES (Serves 4) Prep Time: 10 min
2 cups fat-free or 1% milk
1 or 2 fresh or frozen bananas
1 cup fresh or frozen baby spinach or kale
1 cup fresh or frozen berries of choice
1 tablespoon flaxseed meal*
honey, to taste
*Optional. Found in health food stores or the health food section of most grocery stores.
1. Place the milk, bananas, greens, berries, flaxseed meal into a blender.
2. Season with a little honey to taste.
3. Puree until blended, pour into 4 glasses in equal portions and enjoy.