New Jersey is well known for its tomatoes - best in the world - and corn, but there's a reason we're called the garden state and it's got more to do wth the wide variety of produce grown here beyond just those two.
New Jersey produces plenty of great fruits and vegetables throughout the entire growing season each year and right now is no exception. The following list is what's growing in Jersey right now and can likely be found locally at super markets and farmers markets throughout the state.
With community gardens popping up all over, like the brand new one located right in Shrewsbury, and farmers markets, like the one at the Galleria in Red Bank open every Sunday through the summer, bringing fresh, locally grown produce to those who want it, there are plenty of options to be Jersey Fresh.
The list below details what produce is currently in season and ripe for the picking!
What to get right now:
- Blueberries - only in season in July and August
- Cherries - only in season in July!
- Green beans
- Peas and pea pods - only in season in June and July
- Peppers (sweet)
- Rhubarb - only in season May through July
- Snap peas/snow peas
- Summer Squash
- Zucchini Blossoms - only in season in June and July
What to get come August:
- Broccoli Raab
- Currants - only in season in August
- Okra - only in season in August and September
- Winter Squash